We finally returned home today. Honey is going to be travelling a lot all over the Rio Grand Valley doing weapons training this weekend so we came back to Houston. Last night was exciting though. We went over to the Naval Air Station and played on the playground cause Honey was working late. As we were walking back to the car, I was scanning the grass for fire ant hills. It's a good thing I was too. As I looked down I saw the biggest "toy" spider I have ever seen. I jumped over it (almost stepped on the thing) and then thought, wait a minute, was that a toy?! I took the little ones back to the car and then came back for a second look. It wasn't moving so I wasn't sure. But it was furry and scary and BIG! A man and his grandson were leaving then too and I waved him over. He said, casually, "Oh yeah, that's a brown tarantula. They are common around here. That's the biggest one I've seen around here." WHAT!? (shiver) He touched it's back and it's front legs went up in the air. Dude! I almost stepped on that big hairy thing! I went to get David to come see it. Isaac came too, never one to be left behind. They both thought it was very cool. Then the man got a bunch of weeds and teased the beast, er...spider, till it grabbed on to the weeds and he started to life it up. It held on for a while but then dropped to the ground and started running past us which of course sent David running, screaming back to the van!! :) At that point I decide it was time to go. I couldn't believe it! A tarantula just out in thegrass like that and next to a playground even!! I had Nathan call the Naval groundskeeper guys and tell them they needed to mow and maybe even post signs around the playground or do SOMETHING! I know people say that they are docile but I don't care. It was way too close to a playground for me...
anyhow...all in all it was an exciting trip. hmmm...
1 comment:
Oooh, scary! You certainly have a lot of good stories with 3 boys!
Post a Comment