So, I got here, after an 11 hour drive, on Saturday night. Three of mom's friends from Nashville were here visiting for the weekend, which was nice for her. Sunday, she had to give a talk in church and she did a great job. She sat up front in a little chair just like the elderly general authorities at conference. After, we came home and then drove over to an apartment complex that I had researched and wanted to put down a deposit. So, we checked it out and it was a very nice little 2 bedroom, one bath place with washer dryer et al. But I had reservations about it. For one, the patio doors opened onto about 4 feet of patio, then a sidewalk, and on the other side of the sidewalk, about 7 feet from the door, was the lake. Yeah, likely one of my kids would have somehow ended up in it. And it was kind of out of the way, and I like being close to her friends and the help. We probably have 3 or 4 people stop by every day to see her. I am really, truly lucky to be coming back here to Texas for this. I have an amazing support group here. So many friends have offered to put us up, or watch my kids, or even help home-school David when he comes. While I like the ward in Alabama, and I'm sure they would have stepped up to the plate, it's just not the same as coming home to people who have known you for years and who have been with you through some tough crap.
Anywho... Needless to say, I didn't go with the apartment. I had done so much research and on paper it seemed so right, but that night after viewing it, we had a heart to heart (at 2 am) and she told me that she just didn't want to see me saddled with a six month lease, because she didn't think she was going to be around much longer. Monday, we went to the bank and picked up some things to make her little 1 bedroom place here a little more comfortable. Tuesday, we went to the Funeral Home and arranged things. It is such a NICE place, and the owner actually drove all the way across town to meet with us, since his local manager was out with his kids (it being a holiday and all...) So we got that squared away, and we drove out to the cemetary. It's lovely. Very small, very new, just a handful of people buried there so far. They have a small section called, uh, Living Oaks, I think, where they do the "green burials" which is what she has always wanted. There is another "green" cemetary in Houston but it is like break out the GPS, no grave markers, and oh yeah, they're putting in a highway or some such thing so we can't promise your grave won't be desecrated. Green burials are becoming increasingly popular and I am glad that she has found such a classy place that provides it for her. After going to the funeral home, she slept.
Yesterday, we went for groceries, and then she slept. Today, she slept most of the day. They came and hooked us up to cable and internet (WAHOOOOOOO!) today and then we sat around and waited for them to deliver the hospital bed and wheelchair... which they never did. They called though and said they'd be here tomorrow.
Mostly, she sleeps. She is in some pain, and is taking morphine for it. She also has some bowel issues and that can get a little crazy in the middle of the night. I worry sometimes (usually in the middle of the night) about staying in this tiny place when it starts to get more chaotic. I have to admit, it does worry me. I appreciate not having to pay the rent on a second place, but I still worry about the space and getting more help. Hospice is currently coming once a week, and they are going to start sending home health aides in to help bathe her and stuff. I can do a lot, but obviously, I can't do it all... especially with the little ones. She is also a little ... I don't know if it's the morphine, or her hearing, or just her illness, but her comprehension of what is going on around her is a little slow sometimes too. I have to repeat things several times and say things very slowly sometimes.
She's not going anywhere yet though. If she can drive the little buggy around the grocery store, she's still doing okay. She just crashes when she gets home. I am trying not to let her do too much, but I also know she wants to get out a little. And I worry about getting the kids out, and leaving her alone too. I don't like the idea of leaving her alone for very long. *sigh* This is tough.
But I am trying to give her what she wants in her final days. That's more important to me than anything.
And David lost his first tooth. :D Nathan better put some piccies up soon, or momma might get mad. :)
*Mwah*
5 comments:
You....are the strongest person I know. Next to my mom.
Glad you have a good support group--especially the "know you forever" kind. Big Hug to you. Love ya
Call me when the kids need an out. We'll come right over and get em any old time. After seeing that cutie in person on Sunday I'm just itchin to get to know li'l sammy.
Sara, I'm so glad you arrived safely! It'll be nice to be there with your mom, give her a big hug and kiss for me and I'm so grateful for this blog so that you can keep us all posted. Your in my constant thoughts and prayers!!
Give me a ring when you need to let the kids strech their legs! Do your boys like parks??? he he silly question.
Post a Comment