Saturday, January 16, 2010

Baby Eats

POSSIBLE TMI herein... just so you're warned.

Nursing is hard. Something "natural" should not be this hard. I remember thinking it was hard with D, but not overly so. Just... an adjustment. And with Ike is was hard because we were adjusting to having two kids (I can remember feeding Ike and having D, as a toddler, bring me his sippy cup, milk, and nesquik so that I could make him some chocolate milk while I was in the rocker). And it was hard because Isaac had reflux and wanted to eat CONSTANTLY. But it was okay other than that.

S was a whole other ball game. I was engorged beyond belief with him. HUGE. Painful. Then we found a lactation consultant and she was good. We bought a pump and that helped a little except that I don't produce much when pumping. Very frustrating. Then I got yeast (Candida) in my breasts, which is SO painful. We got some special doodads from my consultant to help and some drugs from my doctor. It more or less worked. Then I got mastitis. WORST experience EVER. Fever, chills, pain.... PAIN... PAAAAIIIN. Swelling and redness and PAIN. My doc said it was one of the worst cases he'd seen. Eventually my pores opened up and ... *gross alert* oozed infection for like four days. I had to wear gauze pads and ... it was awful. I was on two different antibiotics for like a month. Crazy. And after that I was only able to nurse S on the unaffected side. That lasted a month and then he became a bottle baby.

With Mags I wasn't engorged, but at 3 weeks I got mastitis. Luckily, I knew what to look for and was able to get on an antibiotic in time, before it got bad. But I have yeast. Worse this time than before. It is so incredibly painful. SO painful. It's not unlike mastitis, but without the redness and this burns. I have been trying to limit my sugars, as that seems to set it off. But nursing hurts BAD and then after nursing I HURT. Oh, do I hurt!

I really want to keep nursing her, but I wonder how long I'll be able to keep this up. We are both being treated for it topically, but I probably need to get on an oral treatment.

We had a baby shower today that some friends threw for us, which was AWESOME! But I probably ate too much sugar, because as we speak, I am hunched over cradling my chest and she is livid in daddy's arms. She doesn't like it either. She has to be treated for it too so it doesn't turn into thrush and so that we don't keep passing it back and forth.

Anyhow... I better go rescue daddy...

8 comments:

Eldredge Fam. said...

I'm afraid of what nusing this little one will bring. But I'm going to stick with it - I was successful with Cman, why not?

I hear mastitis is HORRID! I just got really engorged and had clogged ducts for a time (that hurts too). Good luck with Maggie, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Jess said...

Breast is best only if it makes your life easier, not harder (and more painful!).
PS. I nursed Emma until 9 months, and I'm still nursing Maddie (8 mos), but I must admit, it still weirds me out.

bedelia said...

I absolutely hate breastfeeding. With all of my boys I've tried, and I feel horribly guilty stopping because everyone says its the best thing for the baby. I say there is a lot more to raising a kid then how we feed them. With that said, I hope you can make it through the yeast, I had it with my first and then he got thrush...then I gave up.
Good luck.
And maybe I should rename my blog 4 boys and me...

Melyssa said...

I'm so sorry, Sara! And everyone tells you what a beautiful bonding experience it will be. I remember my Mom getting mastitis and having yeast problems. I mean, after all, she was pregnant during most of my growing-up life! I believe Diflucan has been approved for oral thrush in infants, so I would think you'd be able to take it too. Get a blessing for healing and KNOWLEDGE if you haven't already. Love ya, sis!

Melinda said...

Bless your heart. Nursing is best however not when you are in this much pain. I nursed Luke till he was 2 yrs and 2 months. So glad I'm done though. Good luck!

Connie Roberts said...

Oh man sara....I can't even imagine. A lactation consultant? That's actually someone's job?

To be honest, I'm scared to death of nursing. I have enough problems with my boobs now. But when the time comes I probably will give it a shot. But I agree, why does something so "natural" have to be so painful?

Amy said...

Had yeast with Bethany; mastitis with Eve. Both cases were detected early, but still, oh! With the mastitis I was ready to have a mastectomy. Seriously. Misery!

Luckily I pulled through and am miraculously still BFing. Never produced a ton with Seth or Eve, so I thank Heavenly Father every day that I've been able to nurse so long.

But anyway, it's only great if you are able to enjoy your sweet baby! She'll live on breast and bottle alike. Good luck and just make sure you're both happy.

The Story of us said...

I'm not ready for all this drama. It scares me to death. Hugs and hang in there.