First of all, I still haven't put up any o the pics from David's Cub Scout Camp, but they are on the other computer at home so it'll have to wait...
Second, we are (obviously) in Utah now! It's so nice to be here and see the family and hang out! It was a heck of a drive to get there though! Sam has an internal clock which goes off around 11 hours... so that's about how far we made it each day 11-12 hours. The first night we stayed in Clayton NM. Yep. Not much there at ALL! But they had an awesome state park with a beautiful lake and decent campsites so we put up our tent and grilled tin foil dinners and enjoyed the cooler weather! It was really nice!!!
The next day we made it to Vernal. We had planned to camp again at Dinosaur Nat'l Monument but Nathan's aunt invited us to stay with her and the idea of a bed and a shower were just too inviting!! So the next day we went to Dinosaur and then headed to Kaysville. We got in Thursday night and hung out with the fam for a bit and Nathan's sis cut my hair. (I LOVE it! It needed it so bad and it's what it's cut like I wanted!) She did a great job! It was also our TENTH anniversary, but we didn't celebrate much on the road. So yesterday, friday, we spent the early part of the day playing on the trampoline and slip n slide, then Nathan's mom watched the kids so we could go out. It was SO nice! We went to the Rodizio (which I had been waiting for) and ate SO MUCH! N was cracking me up with... "Ooo, that's what I want" pointing at the meat guys as they passed! :)
Then we finally saw Half Blood Prince. I have so many mixed feelings about the movie...
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
(If you haven't seen it, you may not want to read ahead.....)
First of all...
It was a really good "MOVIE". Very enjoyable. The funny parts were very funny. The scenes that actually were WERE taken from the book were done VERY well (Ron in Love, Ron Poisoned, Aragog's funeral, Katie Bell, the (FEW) memories... and most of the scenes with Slughorn, and some decent Quidditch shots YAY!) I enjoyed these parts. And the acting in this film was VERY good! Rupert and Emma have finally learned how to act! (And they finally gave Hermione bushy hair!) Everything else made me mad.
N kept saying "it's BASED on the books" but to me, that means you try to stay true to them, not go buck wild with artistic license!!!!! They whole first 45 minutes of the movie were, while well done, not NOT NOT done the way the book intends. Switching out characters, screwing with and adding new scenes. SO many new scenes were added and they didn't add to the plot development any more than if they had used the direct scenes from the book!! Hello!! Why burn down the Burrow!?!? Random!!! I knew it was coming, but that didn't make it any better. I was left frustrated.
And now, Snape. Was. A. Pansy.
I don't know if this was the script or Rickman's interpretation of the man, but it was painful. I had to look away during two of his scenes. I was really REALLY mad about the portrayal of Snape (YES, I know I'm biased) but seriously... HEY, Rickman, don't emote or anything!!!!! None of his usual spit and attitude. Even the sectumsempra scene! Harry was a punk that could have killed Draco and they totally let it slide!!!! And I wanted us to see the wounds on Draco. OPEN THE DAMN SHIRT!!! We should see how serious it was!!!! And while I really DO NOT like Gambon as Dumbledore, I did tear up in the cave scene but was not emotionally invested enough in the tower scene. He died. I was like 'meh'. And it seemed like Snape was like 'meh' also!!!!!! No struggle in his face. It was over so fast!!!!!! I was so MAD!!!! If you're gonna make a freaking 2 1/2 hour movie, make it count!!!!!
Other than that, and tho it doesn't sound like it!, I DID enjoy it. I immediately told myself that it was a loose interpretation and more like a Fan Video, so that I could enjoy it more. It helped but there were still lots of things that made me so irritated!!!
And with that, I leave you.
Will try to update again soon!
OH!!! And so many moody shots of Draco... Aaaaaand cut to another shot of Draco brooding. While I thought he did a good job, who they heck came up with the line, to Dumbledore, "I have to kill you or Voldemort will kill me!!!" WHAT?!?!?! I kept waiting for him to say "will kill my family!!!!!" BAH!!!! And Narcissa wasn't blond enough. And "DON'T CALL ME COWARD!!!" WHERE was that!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!!! And more fighting at the end after the Tower Scene....um, no, we had to burn down the burrow instead ?!?!??!?!
Shoulda been called Harry Potter and the Teenage Crushes...
7 comments:
Slughorn was great! I loved the aragog scene (biased - yep). Anyway, I didn't hate gambon (yes that was a surprise), a very plesant one. I really missed the memories, especally with the Marvolo's. How is Harry going to guess at the other Horicruxes without those. And I hated the lame forshadowing, Dealthy hallows is basicly spoiled. Oh-well, I did enjoy it.
I've heard lots of people who were unhappy with the ending.
Allison and Eduardo are going to go see it in CAlifornia this next week. Allison refuses to even watch the trailers for fear she will be let down as she was with Twilight. I don't follow HP but I do agree they don't need to go off the deep end with creative license when it's a movie based on a book, that just is wrong and disrespectful to the author, as if theirs wasn't good enough or something.
I've never been a Harry Potter person, in fact I've not even seen the first one...oh well, I'll still get into the Celestial kingdom. :)
Can you say Jealous?? Yep, that's what I am right now, you're back home in Utah....I've begun to count down the days, though I'm not sure the exact day...sad I know.
I'm so mad they ditched the whole fight scene at the end. I totally agree with your criticism--WAY TOO MUCH time on the teenage crushes, way too little time actually going into the Voldemort memories.
I was so anxious to hear your take on HP since I know you're such a big fan of the books. So I'm glad you posted. You're spot on about Emma and Rupert finally being comfortable and natural with their characters. And the burning of the burrow??? Why again?? Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I have a terrible memory and it's been a long while since I read #6 so I couldn't remember a lot of stuff. But I really enjoyed the movie.
Oh and Happy Anniversary!
Hooray for tin foil dinners!
Yeah, I need to update too. I've so missed your blog. Since the internet is our primary wave of communication, we can't be slacking!! Especially when my cute little niece or nephew comes! 138 more days! I am so freaking excited!!
I'm going to try to convince Jennifer she needs to have one too ;)
Anyway. I didn't read your Harry Potter blurb yet. Matt and I are looking forward to the movie but probably won't be seeing it for a while. We are always looking for ways to save a little money here and there and one technique is to wait until movies come to the cheap theater. I don't mind. It builds the anticipation and teaches us patience.
Can I just say, I love your brother. He is amazing. So sweet, secretly smart, and so much fun! I love him so much.
(I'm talking about Matt, not Frank. But on that note, Frank is cool too :)
Love ya!
Post a Comment