Thursday, May 7, 2009

Blogging.

So, I've not been very good about blogging. It's not that I don't have things to blog about... just no motivation to sit down and blog.

But I guess since I'm here, I'll go ahead and catch you up to date on shtuff.

I called the engraver who was in charge of mom's headstone last week. He told me he wasn't gonna be able to finish it. That he hadn't been able to get ANY letters on it at all. HELLO!? It's been 5 months. No excuse!!! Should have told us a LONG time ago. Major Grrrr. So Tuesday I loaded the kids in the car to drive to Houston to pick up the stone. I had lunch with some (good) friends of mine and mom's and picked up the stone. The guy was all "I can do what anyone else can do." "No one else is gonna be able to help you." "I've never seen granite like this." IDIOT. It's granite!!!!

So I took the piece over to the Funeral Home to let the guy there just look at the piece and tell me what he thought about it, if it would even be approved if I was able to find someone. He said it would be fine (like he did over the phone when we talked to him last November). And he referred me to a monument company up in Conroe. So the boys and I went and bought some flowers then went to the cememtery. I forgot the digital camera, so I bought a disposable, which means that I won't have pics to upload on here for a few days, but we left her some flowers. I bought a large bunch of blue hydrangeas that said something like Happy Mothers Day or something on them. D chose yellow dutch tulips (appropo), and Ike chose red roses. D spread his out in a circle around her grave and Ike laid his rose bunch first on her "arm" then on her "feet" then on her "heart" right in the middle. Then he said he wanted to "walk on Granni." I told him to go for it. :) So he walked on "Granni's Hill." *sigh*

We walked around looking at some of the other graves. She had a green neighbor, someone buried right next to her beneath the trees. A man, I don't remember his name, but I think he died in January. He already had his headstone, but he was one of the only ones in the place, which made me feel a little better.

So we loaded back in the car and drove up to Conroe. I had already chosen a different place to go, but thought since Shane had suggested this place, I'd check it out. The man there was very nice and said he "knew" they'd be able to do it, but that he didn't see how we'd be able to fit all the words we wanted on the stone. So it looks like we will have to settle for her name and dates. He will email me a time frame and also let me know if he thinks they can fit any other kind of saying or emblem on it. At this point, I just want it done... so I can go put up my shepherd's hook and the windchime I'm making from the shells we gathered at the beach last October. You can only put that sort of thing up if they have a permanent marker. Her little temporary one as still there, and our fern was still there, but there were no wildflowers or anything. Pretty bare.

Anyways... that's about it.

Other than that, our days are pretty monotonous. Nathan is flying every other day and still making money, which is good. :P I go back to the doctor on Monday. Made some crummy zucchini bread. The boys have had coughs and I'm taking them to the doctor today. Homeschool is fine. D's 7th birthday is tomorrow! We are planning what to do with him...


And here's a funny.....

2 comments:

Terri said...

Thanks for the update! I am glad things worked out... sort of. A big Happy 7th to David! Wow- doesn't 7 seem old! Hope the kids don't have N1H1 and your baby's cooking normally!

Frank said...

I like your funny.

And "Sexy Back" in your music?!!?!